Your Money Mindset
Updated: Jul 8, 2020
Talking about money, debt, success or any topic related to wealth (or the lack of) can be intimidating for many reasons. Unfortunately, because we do not talk about money we perpetuate a cycle of ignorance from generation to generation. Ignorance becomes a death sentence to our purpose and our financial freedom.
What's the first thought that comes to your mind when you read the following statements?
"I deserve to be wealthy."
"Rich people are dishonest."
"I will always live paycheck to paycheck."
"If I make sacrifices I can be debt free."
These statements are the framework for our money mindset. They are the culmination of years of mental training by our loved ones. It's time to re-evaluate, not your budget, but your thoughts concerning money.
Our mentality is the biggest hindrance to our progress. Our behaviors towards money are linked to our thought patterns. You can have a budget and a plan, but you cannot go any higher than your thought process. If you continue to think with the same money misconceptions, you will have the same money habits and will remain in the same financial position.
We all have a money story and that story is what speaks to us daily. This story is what you tell yourself every single day without realizing it. Are you allowing a negative money mindset to hinder your progress? Just because you've always done something one way, doesn't make it the right way. Most of the time we know what we don't want but not what we want when it comes to money. Once you know what you want, you can determine what you are willing to sacrifice to accomplish those goals.
Changing your mindset is a lifelong process. Mentally, you will want to revert back to what is comfortable and familiar. Below are a few things that have helped me on my journey:
- Be selective in how you spend your time. Time is one thing we can never get back and you'll be amazed at how much is spent on social media, watching television or doing things that have no benefit to your future.
- Unfollow people/brands on social media who's content does not align with your goals.
- Read or listen to audiobooks that will help provide tips and resources on how to change your mindset and how to change your financial situation.
- Surround yourself with people who are where you want to be or who have the mindset you'd like to attain.
- Get help! Work with someone, whether it be a trusted friend, or an organization that can help. The internet is a vast sea of resources, tips, articles, and videos that can help you in this journey.
You got this! The greatest skill you have is the ability to change your mind.